Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Hang In There, Kid.

There's been a lot going on around here lately. Mostly to do with Beege.

Three weeks ago, I sent off a relatively healthy child to a play date. When my husband went to pick her up, she was lying face down on a couch, with a fever. It looked like strep throat to me, so Husband took her off to the doctor.

Despite Husband telling the doctor that it was likely Beege would have a bad reaction to Amoxicillin, that's what was prescribed. Why did we think she would have a bad reaction? Well, I am allergic to Amoxicillin. My sister, nephew, aunt, cousin, and grandmother all have bad reactions to Amoxicillin. It was just a hunch. Whenever we explain this to a medical professional, we are told that "drug allergies don't run in families." I think they are wrong.

Anyhoo. The Amox did the trick, and she was right as rain in a couple of days. Great. Until day 7 of her 10 day prescription when she broke out in a rash. Back to the doctor. Who said that it "could" be a reaction to the Amox, and if she was itchy, we could give her some Benedryl.

The next day, when her entire body was covered with welts, and her face looked like a swollen red balloon, Husband took her to the hospital. Where they said "someone said this could be an allergy?" and prescribed her some nice steroids. It took three days of steroids and continual use of Benedryl to get her looking normal again.

Then, on Saturday night, as Husband and I were settling down to watch a movie at 10:00, who wanders out of her room? It's Beege. With a bucket. Because she's just ejected what looks like a gigantic ball of wet snot from her body.

She threw up for two days. Now she's done with that, but she's going on day two of not eating.

She looks shrunken. This has been THREE WEEKS of sickness, grossness, and discomfort for her.

I'm seriously considering a plastic bubble.

Anyway. Hopefully, this will be the last of it. But while I'm been sitting around, worrying that maybe all of this is a recurrence of her HSP, I'm making her a little present.



4 comments:

  1. Oh noooo. I hate it when the kids are sick. I hope she's feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that poor baby. And poor mama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's terrible! Poor thing. :-( I hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the well wishes, ladies. She finally got back to school last Thursday, and aside from looking a little bruised, seems none the worse for wear. :)

    ReplyDelete