Tuesday, September 24, 2013

And Now, a Rambling Post About Blissdom Canada 2013.

Okay. So. Last year, if you recall, I went to a Blogging conference called Blissdom Canada. I was extremely nervous, I didn't know anyone, I kept tripping on my pants, and I almost came home in the middle of the day. I stuck it out though and I learned some things, met some people, and it was good.

Next week, I'm going again.

This year I'll be staying at the hotel (got some roommates, even!), so I'll have somewhere to hide if it gets overwhelming, and just having that option makes me feel better already. Also, because I'm staying over, I'm going to make it out to the parties! One of my goals for this year is to try and socialize more.

I'm not going to worry so much about my clothes. I will try and look neat and approachable, but not dwell on it. Last year, I ended up borrowing "businessy clothes" from a friend and was thoroughly uncomfortable in pants that were three inches too long. I've decided that it's more important (for me, anyway) to be comfortable than to be wearing nice pants. So please, don't look at my pants. Especially if you have something against yoga pants. Because I may be wearing some.

This morning, I signed up for the micro sessions I'll be attending*, so I can stop worrying about one thing at least. I've been having dreams about everything that could possibly go wrong (forgetting to bring pants, not being able to remember my room number, going to the wrong hotel, throwing up, etc...), but hopefully that will all be out of my system by next week.

The one thing that's already better about this year over last year is I'm on Twitter. The only reason I signed up for Twitter at all in the first place was because your twitter handle** was a necessary field to register for the conference. THIS year, I've been on Twitter for a while and have been able to connect with a few people, so I'll have some friendly faces to look for.

Now I just have to remember to bring pants.***



Blissdom Canada




*Growing An Engaged Social Community with Chris Read, Finding Your People How to make bloggy friends (and why it really matters) with Kyla Cornish, and Blogging & Etsy with Tara Kolesnikowicz. In case you were wondering.
**@JustMumBlog ... there's a nifty little button up there on the right...
***And yes, I do realise I'm overly focused on pants.


8 comments:

  1. Have a great time & can't wait for the full report. I totally went flip-flops after the first 10 minutes of BlogHer wearing uncomfortable shoes. Live & learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do my best! Pack flip-flops - got it! :)

      Delete
  2. "It's more important to be comfortable than wearing nice pants." This is completely sound and sensible advice. Enjoy, enjoy! I'm sure this year will be much smoother than last. Either way, I admire your courage, just stepping out there and meeting people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't notice your pants...so you must have packed some! ;)

      Delete
    2. Lol... I accidentally ended up bringing 7 pairs with me. For 2 days.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe all the people I met (I think I was at your table for Julie and Caroline's talk) who looked so confident and relaxed and then wrote about being nervous (I was a spiky ball of anxiety). Way to fake it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it's really a relief to know that I don't actually look like the sweaty mess that I feel I am. Thank you so much for saying so. :) You didn't look inordinately nervous either! :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete