Monday, November 4, 2013

And Now We Are Old(er).


Last weekend was my birthday. As some of you know, I've been kind of down on birthdays for the past few years (my own, anyway). So this year, I decided not to leave it up to chance.

Contrary to my almost sloth-like demeanor, I used to be quite an  active person. I enjoyed hiking, camping, swimming... even some team sports. But since highschool, I haven't done any of that kind of stuff. And I've realised that it makes me kind of sad. So what I chose to do was this:

I think this one was about 30' up?
Treetop trekking in Horseshoe Valley*.

It's made up of a series of obstacles (they called them "games", but I'm sticking with obstacles), strung up at varying heights in the trees.

When you get there, they strap you into a harness, hand you a helmet, and give you a short training session on how to safely navigate the course. Then you're pretty much on your own to make your way through the trees. There were barrels to cross, things to crawl though, logs to balance on, and even some plain old fashioned tight ropes.


We spent a good three hours swinging, climbing, zipping through the trees. Despite the rain and the chill, it was AWESOME. The people who work there were unfailingly nice, and I had a truly amazing time.

I've already decided I'm going back next year.

But I'm thinking I'll wear gloves.





*The one we went to was near Barrie, but they've got several locations in Ontario and Quebec.


14 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had a fun and adventurous birthday. Good for you! How high does 30 feet up feel? It sounds/looks high!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't feel all that high most of the time. There were only a couple of moments that I honestly thought I might fall, and then it seemed a little higher. ;)

      Delete
  2. Cool! that's my sorta fun:) I like to get dirty and scramble too! It's the best sort of exercise - a full body workout instead of just the legs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *love* feeling really properly tired from doing something physical. Such a nice change from just feeling drained and angsty. :P

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday!

    I have heard so many awesome things about the treetop trekking in Barrie - it sounds like so much fun! Glad you had a great time there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      It really was great. Not only was the actual climbing super fun, but the area is just beautiful, and everyone was super nice. You should check it out (when they re-open in the spring...) if you're in the neighbourhood!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday! Glad you had fun. There is a similar place just outside Montreal but I am too terrified to go.... good on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe I am actually uncomfortable with heights? At this place, they have a training course set up close to the ground to let you practice using the gear before you go up. They won't let people go until they show that they're comfortable and trust in the gear. The courses are also at varying heights so that you can get used to it before you go high. I really liked the way it was set up.

      Delete
  5. This is a great birthday! Happy belated Birthday by the way.

    I am totally taking notes on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lil. :)
      I'm having event birthdays from now on. I loved it. :)

      Delete
  6. Happy late birthday! It's not a good one unless something hurts, no?

    ReplyDelete