Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Grandma Wins Christmas.

Beege is a very practical girl. The first time I ever let her pick out her own winter boots, she picked out some "with thick treads for walking on ice, and a string I can tighten so the snow won't go in."
But, like every other kid at school, even she gets dragged into fads sometimes. Despite the complete ridiculousness of "Silly Bands", and the fact that they serve no purpose other than clogging the vacuum, she wanted them to trade with her friends because everyone else was.

So when Rainbow Looms came out, I figured it was only a matter of time, and sure enough...

Beege: Mummy?
Me: Yeah?
Beege: Remember when we talked about fads? And how sometimes, there's no real reason why people like something except that everyone else does, so you have to think about it and decide for yourself whether or not you should bother with it?
Me: Yeah?
Beege: Well, I've observed a new fad called Rainbow Looms.
Me: Okay.
Beege: I would like it even if no one else did.
Me: Sure.
Beege: I want one.
Me: Right.
Beege: For my birthday.
Me: Uh huh. 
And I'm totally for Rainbow Looms. I always like toys that you actually DO something with. They can even be said to be educational; patterning, following directions, grouping and sorting, small motor development, and the band refills can be used as incentives to help her get through her tedious OT work. I was planning on getting her one, actually.

You'd think this whole thing would make me pretty happy. An inexpensive birthday gift that I already know she wants? Something I was planning on getting her anyway? Sign me up!

Except... my mum beat me to it. She already got them for both girls for Christmas.

I'll probably get her some socks or something.


10 comments:

  1. Well Grandma did win Christmas, but you won at awesome parenting by teaching your kids about fads - so cool!

    Also, because of this post I just watched a MESMERIZING 6 minute video of a little girl making a bracelet with this thing. Now I want a Rainbow Loom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... thanks. :)

      Doesn't it look neat? I can't wait to get my hands on it... not that I've already got my own secret supply of bands or anything. *shifty eyes*

      Delete
  2. Haha, I love it. I hope my son turns out half as practical as Beege.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her practicality really comes in handy... it cuts shopping trips in half to have a kid who likes to be comfortable and doesn't care about fads.

      Delete
  3. Aww, that is great of your daughter to know about fads! The rainbow loom looks great but I don't think my boys would go for it. hehe! As for grandparents beating you to the perfect gift, we usually send a list of ideas to the gparents, that way there are no duplicates. We learned the hard way as one year we bought a racetrack for oldest from Santa and when we had early Christmas at the in-laws, they had bought him the same racetrack. And we were already stuck with the other one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol... I think my mum bought them before I'd even started thinking about Christmas!

      Delete
  4. A+ for parenting.... and sometimes, it's ok for Grandma to win... it can help establish a bond that is so important in little lives, but that may not last into adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're all about Grandmas over here... mine actually lives upstairs. :) I still remember the year that she and Grandpa gave me everything I needed to make my own teddy bear for Christmas... one of the best presents ever!

      And I really don't mind... now I just have to think of something else. Beege hasn't been all that forth coming. She keeps saying things like "I just want a hundred hugs", which is adorable and all, but I can't figure out how to wrap it. ;)

      Delete
  5. The boys can pretty much make a yacht now from rubberbands - the YouTube videos are great! And I hope you have a powerful vacuum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually kind of excited about trying it out myself. :)

      No. No I don't. I'm kind of hoping that this is one of those things that Beege gets hyper organised about and she keeps very good track of the bands... it could happen, right?

      Delete