Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I Need a Minute.

10:32am. Usually at this time, I'd be scrambling to finish up whatever I was doing so that I could change back into my "real" clothes* and get ready to pick up Kee from school.

But today? Today, I have spent the morning surfing the web and am just now sitting down to write.

The best thing happened this morning. First of all, I got the kids to school on time with minimal yelling.  (A change from the past two days, I assure you.) As we got to Kee's lineup, her best friend appeared, and she went running over to her. I approached more slowly.

You see, I haven't had a shower in three days. Oh geez. No, it's four. The water temperature isn't stable here when the laundry is going, or the dishwasher is running, or someone's flushing the toilet, or someone's having a shower upstairs. And I don't like to have a shower when Husband's not home in the evenings, because inevitably one of the kids will interrupt me midway through with some kind of emergency, and I'll be reminded by the stiff mass of my hair the next morning that I never actually rinsed the soap out. And so, I had a favour to ask.

"Do you suppose you could pick Kee up for me today, and I'll meet you at your place a little later?" I asked hopefully.
"Sure!"
"Oh, thanks so much! That would be great. I've got a couple of errands, and I'd really like to have a bath."
"You know what? Why don't you just meet us back at the school when it's time to pick up the big kids?"
"...really?"
"Absolutely!"

And then I cried. Just a little. Which freaked me out a bit, so I'm writing off the errands, and just spending the day goofing off.

First, I changed back into my pajamas. Then I danced wildly around the living room while laughing my head off. When I'm done here, I will have that bath. Then I'm going to watch Tootsie, at the volume I prefer, while sprawled over the entire couch and hogging the blankets. And hopefully, I'll remember to go pick up the kids.



*Yes, Mum, I do change back into my pajamas when I get home from dropping the kids off at school. Don't look at me like that.

14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you were brave enough to ask for the help you needed and that your friend was thoughtful enough to see what you needed and could give you that help. Good call on taking a day off and recharging - you certainly deserve it, and I hope that you feel better at the end of the day. Hilarious note to your mom at the end!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara :) I really do need to get better at asking for help - better at recognising when I need it too!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh! Don't you cry, because then I'll cry and it'll just be a big mess.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you needed some time for you. Glad there is kindness around you that let you have it today. I hope you had a long and care free bath. Those are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? I can hardly ever have a bath and be absolutely sure that no one's going to bust in on me.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Like I'm wearing that brown shirt you hate. Or a hat in the house. Or you know... pajamas in the middle of the day. :\

      Delete
  5. That sounds like the perfect day! I'm a little bit - no - A LOT jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great. Time to look for some babysitting for an afternoon, Robin! :)

      Delete
  6. We have the same water issues here. I was just thinking about complaining in a blog post. My husband always seems to flush the toilet when I am in the shower. I swear, he has come home out of the blue and flushed the toilet just because I am in the shower.

    It's good to have friends...and a break! I like that you spent it watching Tootsie. Best day ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it irritating? And it's not like I can expect my grandma not to run her water so that I can have a shower. :P

      Delete
  7. I wear my pajamas to drop-offs. And pick-ups. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pajamas look a lot like my clothes. So I'm neither confirming or denying that I may or may not wear pajamas to drop off most mornings.

      Delete