Thursday, December 19, 2013

All I Want For Christmas...

So. The kids are off school, starting on Friday, for two weeks.

Two weeks.

*sigh* I love my kids, I really, really do. Ask anyone. But TWO WEEKS is a long time to be stuck in our apartment with them. Because I know that we won't go to the library every other day like I think we will. And I know that playing in the snow will last about 10 minutes before someone gets a handful in the face and starts crying. And I know that by week two, we will be watching Barbie's Magic Christmas (or something. Is that a thing? I don't even know anymore.) for the third time because we've already watched the only other two movies that everyone can agree on twice already.

Every year I ask for the same thing for Christmas: peace and quiet. I have a 5 year old and an 8 year old, so we all know that's one present I won't get for at least another 13 years.

But this year, I got an early Christmas present that means I can at least sit off to the side while they watch their high pitched cartoons, and watch something I might actually enjoy on my iPad. Like The Walking Dead, maybe.

Much swankier headphones than I need. But I love them.

You probably didn't know this about me, because it's a very unimportant fact, but I hate ear buds. Really hate them. I actually stopped listening to my iPod because I hate them so much. They're awkward, they fall out, and they make my ear holes (there's probably a technical name for that, right?) sore. So I am pleased to report that my new headphones are really comfortable to wear. They even fold up and have a carrying case, so the old iPod may make a reappearance.

I didn't get the noise cancelling ones**, so I can still hear the kids well enough to assess whether I need to pay attention to whatever it is they're yelling about, but they can't hear the zombie groans or shooting.

Win-win.



*While the "Beats by Dr. Dre" headphones were provided to me by Staples Canada, the dislike of high pitched cartoons is entirely my own.
**But I may spring for them later. ;)

6 comments:

  1. Love my Beats! Mine are noise cancelling... which is a bonus when you've got teens :) Enjoy!
    P.S. I Hate ear buds too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like ear buds either and I don't know why but it's called the 'ear canal'. Not very interesting eh?
    My doctor always says you shouldn't put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear and that's silly because you couldn't put your elbow in your ear even if it was small enough :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Ear canal"... well, that's not as medical-y sounding as I thought it would be.
      You know, it never even occurred to me to put anything at all in my ears until I heard that. Then I couldn't help but wonder what it is that I'd be trying to stick in my ears that I shouldn't. :\

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I really like mine... and with the internet having been out for a week, I've got some NetFlix to catch up on! ;)

      Delete