Monday, January 6, 2014

Mittens.

This afternoon, I sat on the couch watching Kee play, and looking up knitting patterns (kid needs new mitts). She was completely engrossed in what she was doing, and paid me no attention. Eventually, I ignored the iPad glowing in my hand, and focused entirely on my daughter.

Her little people were having conversations about turning off lights to save energy, and how you shouldn't be rude to people. I watched as they cleaned up after the Barbies' latest party and complained that Barbie should really be helping. Then they decided that it was quiet reading time. Then they realised they should probably be solving a mystery or something, and started gathering supplies.

She looked up at me, and caught me staring.
"You're so weird, Mummy," she said affectionately. 
Then she put aside her guys, picked up her binoculars and stared at me through them. "Can I have some broccoli?" she asked. Having finished her broccoli, she is now wearing a construction hat and 'catching' Jenga blocks with a butterfly net. She'd like one pink mitten, and one red, please.

She's a little weird too. She totally gets it from me.



10 comments:

  1. Weird is awesome! I have a couple of weirdos in my house as well. Makes it a much more interesting place. haha

    P.S. I read your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fond of weird... life would be so boring without it.

      And now I know! :)

      Delete
  2. Weird is great! Glad you are passing down the good stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! :) And I love hearing her telling her little guys to clean up after themselves. It gives me hope for the future cleanliness of my living room. ;)

      Delete
  3. Don't you love how completely random kids can be? It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite thing is listening to them play when they don't know I'm listening. They're creative in an entirely different way when they're on their own.

      Delete
  4. Weird is highly underrated. I was a weird kid, and it turned out a lot more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird is just another way of saying unique... and unique is what moves the world forward. :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I love the narratives that go along with their little games. Aside from just being hilarious, it shows they actually do listen! Barbie SHOULD clean up after her own parties! ;)

      Delete