Friday, March 28, 2014

Put A Bird On It.

The other day when we were walking home from school, Kee fell behind for a minute. When she ran to catch up, she was holding her hands in front of her, cupped around something.

"Can I keep it Mummy?"
"Keep what, sweetheart?"
"This bird!" she said, holding it up so that I could see it.
"Uhm. No."
"But I'll take care of it, I promise I will, I'll make it a nest, and feed it, and make sure that it has naps and everything!"
"Kee... it's filthy.. and you found it at the side of the road..."
"PLEEEEEEEEEEASE?!" she asked, her eyes filling with tears, lower lip trembling.
"..."
"please." she whispered hopefully.
"Oh geez. Fine. Sure." I said, throwing my hands up. 

She carried it home carefully, making sure that she was holding it gently and guarding it from the wind. When we got it home, she ran to her room right away to make a nest for it. She proudly showed me the little box filled with washcloths and surrounded with rocks. "So that it's like the outside."

She filled a bucket with warm soapy water and very gingerly cleaned the dirty thing. Then she spent the rest of the afternoon making sure that it was comfortable, feeding it, and trying to give it flying lessons which consisted of her throwing the thing in the air and yelling "Good job!" a lot.

The next day when she left for school, she left me with strict instructions about what I was supposed to do to care for the bird while she was gone. I put the stupid thing in it's "nest" and ignored it for the rest of the day.

Allow me to introduce you to the newest member of my family, Kee. (Yes, she named it after herself.)


You didn't think I let her keep an actual bird she found at the side of the road, did you?





6 comments:

  1. Hilarious surprise ending. Seriously...I have tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHMEGEE. I LOVE IT. P.s you need some social media share buttons with your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on it!
      (As soon as I figure out how to do it.)

      Delete
  3. haha love it! This made my day..thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete