Monday, May 5, 2014

But I Can't Lift My Arms.

Pretty much the only thing that we need to change about the new house is the paint colours. When you go into our new house, most of it is tans and taupes. Nice, right? Neutral, yes? But they're all just slightly off. As if they went in to the paint store, looked at the exact same paint chip that I would have, and said "Oooh... I love it, but I'd like it even more if it had a weird green/yellow undertone!"

Which I would not have said.

We were looking at the walls and thinking about whether we really did need to paint the entire house. The colours are almost what we would have actually picked! It's almost just right!

The thing is that we absolutely know if we don't paint now, it will never get done. We will move in and live with the not-quite-right paint colours for the next twenty years. And it will bother me. Every. Single. Day.

So we've decided that we really do need to paint the entire house. Which didn't really seem like onerous a job at the time we decided it because, after all, we're not moving until June.

Of course, now that we're into May, it seems like a big job. Huge, even. Time to buckle down. So we started in the girls' rooms, because there was no way that they were staying the colours they were, even if we squinted and tilted our heads.

We even let them pick their own colours. Kee went straight for pink. Not just any pink either; hot pepto bismol pink. She wanted everything pink. Maybe two different colours of pink? Really dark bright pink, and slightly lighter bright pink? Thankfully, she decided to be reasonable and ended up with a lovely light pink called "Hawaiian Shell."

I had assumed that Beege would pick purple. But she fooled us all, and picked something called "Blue Poppy" when she was out with my mother. She carried the paint chip around with her, and told everyone that that would be her room colour. Of course, then we lost the chip. To make things simpler, I offered her a selection from the ones that I'd gotten in the first place, and she decided on "Lilac Bisque" which is, after all that, a very pretty purple.

Anyway. We got both of them done this weekend! 



Both rooms look wonderful, the girls are totally happy.

Now we just have to decide on the rest of the house.



6 comments:

  1. Wow! Those rooms look amazing! So great that you have some time before you move in to paint. You are so right, it will just bother you if you don't paint it now, so it is a great thing you are getting it done. Have you chosen your other colours? I like painting but I always find my quads hurt the most after because I often squat while painting the bottom edges. And I don't realize that I've been squatting so much until a few days later when walking is super painful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't chosen the other colours yet, but we know where we're leaning. I am so sore, Jen. We've got a weekend off this week for my cousin's wedding, but I see painting every weekend for the foreseeable future. :\ I'm going to need to toughen up!

      Delete
  2. I have been putting this off forever. It must feel soooo great to be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels great - until I look into the other rooms that still need doing. ;) Two down, every single other one to go. And hallways. But on the bright side, two are DONE! :)

      Delete
  3. The rooms look good! We did not paint before we moved in, and so far, the only room where I've accomplished any painting is the kitchen (the paint for munchkin's room is unopened in the basement)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I want to get it out of the way now. I know me. Once we're settled, we're settled and I might as well forget about it.

      Delete