Thursday, May 1, 2014

We're in This Together, You Know.

Why is it that at the slightest hint of tension, my body betrays me? Since we signed the closing papers on the house, I've had a nagging cough. My nose has been running consistently for weeks. Aches and pains are cropping up all over the place. Yesterday, I lost my voice altogether.

I remember this though. When I used to be in/help out with plays I would be fine until closing night. Then as soon as the curtain fell, I would be a snotty, throaty mess for a few days. Same with exams. Major papers. Job interviews. The lead-up would be all excited energy. The fallout would be gross. Without fail. You should have seen me the day after my wedding.

My body makes no logical sense. 

Mine is the body that throws up if I get too hungry. The one that wakes me up in the middle of the night and knocks me out in the middle of the day. The one that gets overly excited and decides to evacuate the entire contents of my stomach. The one that seems to do just as well/poorly on a healthy vegetarian diet as it does on greasy burgers and onion rings.

But I am ignoring you, Body. I'm getting on with things. We've bought a house. I've signed up for mail forwarding. I've got the girls' school registration forms in hand. We're doing this thing whether I feel like I'm going to hurl or not.

Although I'd prefer not. So please, Body, have a Heart.





6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new house! Yay! That's exciting. Sorry about the body, though, mine seems to take things personally, too. When someone says something that could be construed as negative towards me, I get physically ill. And pretty much all the same things that you mentioned as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)

      It's totally nonsensical... it's like a fight or flight response gone totally haywire. :\

      Delete
  2. Oh no! I hope you feel better!! I always got sick after exams too. Exciting about the new house! When do you move?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara. I figure I'll just feel mildly ill until I get everything sorted out. I'm used to it though. :)

      We're moving in after school's out. We're not in a huge hurry to get out of here, and I thought it might go better if the kids (and I) had a chance to get used to things before we're on a schedule.

      Delete
  3. You can do it! I can very much relate to this post. Very much. I know you'll feel better soon. Better than better. You'll have so much space... all your own! So excited for you I might hurl, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO much space. It's going to be great. My brain knows it, but my body is confused. Lol... thanks, Lou. :)

      Delete