Thursday, June 12, 2014

A Craft For All Seasons.

So. Yesterday was Kee's "not really a party" party.

Originally, I'd planned to have a barbecue. They were going to play some outdoor games, blow bubbles, eat hot dogs, and basically run around until they got tired.

I was awoken at about 6:30am by the soothing sounds of gentle rain hitting my window. It soon became huge drops of water pelting my window, accompanied by booming thunder and flashes of lightening.

Great. Our apartment is tiny and there are boxes all over the place. I spent the entire morning tidying the living room into a reasonable state so the kids would have room to play. Sadly, I'd already packed up all our games and sent them on to the house. You know, because we wouldn't need them, as we were going to be outside.

Luckily, at least one of the activities that I'd planned for outside was transferable.

We did a craft.




The night before, I'd made the first letter of each girl's name on a 12 x 12 canvas board with painter's tape. I gave them paint, markers, and glitter glue to cover the boards. When it dried, we were going to peel the letters off, to get the lovely result you see there on the bottom right.

The best thing about this craft is it's super easy to set up, and it can be as simple or complicated as you want to make it. For older kids, I'd definitely used a more interesting font and offer more options for decorating.

Of course, only one kid wanted to peel her letter off, so they basically ended up with painted splotches on a square. But hey, it was fun, and it killed 20 minutes.

They spent the rest of the afternoon alternating between watching Frozen, demanding snacks, and running around screaming. I'm pretty sure fun was had by all.






6 comments:

  1. That is a good one - glad it killed some time.

    So funny that some of the kids didn't peel off the tape. 6 year old me (and adult me) would have to peel it off for it to be complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol.. I know right? It took all I had not to try and convince them! I held back though - you can't control someone else's art. :)

      Delete
  2. WHOA. Love it. And I might not even recycle this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kyla. :)

      The best thing about this one, is that it's for THEM. It goes in THEIR room. You don't have to pretend you're going to treasure it always!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Courtney. I think I'm even going to do (a slightly fancier) one for myself. :)

      Delete