Monday, July 28, 2014

Danny Does the Weather?!

I like the outdoors as much as the next person, and I'm enjoying exploring the neighbourhood and playing with the girls, but the only way I'm going to get any of these boxes unpacked is to sit them down in front of something engrossing for a bit.

Did I mention that we're not getting cable? We're going to give it a go. We looked into packages, and the amount they charge for the privilege of having your shows interrupted by advertising every few minutes is astounding.

The first day we were here, Kee wandered into our bedroom and asked if she could watch some shows. We explained that we didn't have TV. She argued we did have a TV. We said that we had a screen, but we didn't pay for the cable to hook up to the screen, so we don't have any shows to watch on it. They haven't really mentioned it since.

What we do have are DVD's of their favourite movies, and thanks to finally getting the internet hooked up, Netflix.

When I watch movies, or shows, I tend to get stuck on a track. Like, I'll watch a movie with Ryan Reynolds in it, and then every movie I watch needs to have Ryan Reynolds in it*. Until I come to one with him and Sandra Bullock, and then I'm off on a Sandra Bullock Tangent. Until I come to one with her and Melissa McCarthy in it... You get the picture, right?

Ross Hull, erstwhile scary story teller, current weather guy.
Well, this month, our tangent has been Canadian Content. We were watching the weather one morning before we moved (when we still got the weather channel) and there was Ross Hull.

Not familiar with Ross Hull? Well, if you were a kid in Canada around the time of Student Bodies, then you might  have, like me, fallen off the couch yelling "It's Chris Sheppard!"

Which of course meant that I had to run to Netflix and see if any of his stuff was on there to make my kids sit through it. No Student Bodies, sadly (I loved that show!), but there was a full season of Are You Afraid of the Dark?. When they were done with that, they moved right along to Goosebumps, and when we've worn them out, the Stream Team has helpfully suggested a whole raft of titles to help me out with my Canadiana kick.

“Canadiana” Netflix Titles

Big Kids

  1. Are You Afraid of the Dark?
  2. Johnny Test
  3. Black Hole High
  4. Alpha and Omega
  5. Goosebumps
  6. Erky Perky
  7. Eliot Kid
  8. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days
Don't worry, if your kids aren't quite ready for scary stories or the "cheese touch", there's lots there for you as well!

For the little guys:
  1. Caillou
  2. Franny's Feet
  3. The Busy World of Richard Scarry
  4. Super Why!
  5. Animal Mechanicals
  6. Monster Math Squad
  7. Team Umizoomi
  8. Thomas and the Magic Railroad


So how about it? What were some of your favourite (Canadian or otherwise) shows growing up?  The Odyssey and Student Bodies were a couple of my faves.



*Really, most movies could benefit from a bit of Ryan Reynolds, don't you think?


2 comments: