Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Where Did This All Come From?!

Right. I know. I should be packing. I have been! Just taking a short break from all the heavy lifting to marvel at the wall of boxes taking up my living room. It's really amazing how much stuff we have. Just incredible.

One thing I've been really surprised about is how many DVDs we actually have. Some of these movies are still in their packages. I know, I'm embarrassed.

In my defense, I'm pretty sure that none of the Japanese robot/ninja/action movies still in their plastic are my fault.

I'll take the hit on Flashdance though. Honestly, I only bought it because it was on sale, I'd never seen it, and people got on my case about it. I'm still not interested, and I shouldn't have caved to peer pressure. Next time, I will stand up tall and say "No. I do NOT need to watch that movie about the welder/stripper."

Anyhoo. As I was saying...

We neeeed to get rid of things. The first place I'm going to start (because I can't bear facing the books yet - holy crap), is the DVDs. Because, really? Aside from the kids' movies, and a few hard to find classics*, and those collectors sets that Husband likes... damn.

Let me try this again. Anything that we bought because we were interested in passing and it was cheaper to buy it than actually go to out the movies? Those can go.

Now I have something better than the bargain bin at Blockbuster (is Blockbuster still a thing?) - Netflix.

Last night for instance, I watched Austenland and The Decoy Bride (While packing, don't worry), neither of which I'd heard of. 

Austenland has Jane (Felicity) and Lizzie (Stiffler's Mom) in the story of a girl obsessed with Jane Austen's world who decides to spend her savings to go and experience it "first hand" at a themed resort. I'm an Austen and period piece fan myself, so I found it quite charming.

The Decoy Bride takes place on the fictional Isle of Hegg, where unlucky in love Katie (the voice of Merida) retreats after a disasterous love affair, only to find herself drawn into the machinations of a publicity rep (Mark, from Ugly Betty) to help keep paparazzi away from a well known actress (Carol from Star Trek into Darkness) and her would be author husband (The tenth Doctor).

Both of which I'm glad I watched, but equally glad I don't have to find the room for. 

Okay. Back to packing.







*Like Elvira: Mistress of the Dark. I love it, and you can judge me all you want.


6 comments:

  1. Every single time I have moved I have been amazed by how much stuff we have. Of course, in the middle of moving, we rarely have time to do much purging so we keep carting it with us from place to place. I hope you get rid of more than we have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what we've been doing too.. enough is enough. I don't want to move into our new house and just crap it up right away. :P

      Thanks, Lil! We've already got a yard sale planned for the week after we move - a good start to the culling anyway.

      Delete
  2. I've been scouting MLS for houses lately because we have so much clutter that I feel the only way to get rid of it is to MOVE!! I know, I'm a glutton for punishment, right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one bit of advice... as you're scouting MLS, spend a while running around your house throwing stuff you don't use in a box. You might find you don't need to move after all! ;)

      Delete
  3. Have you read Austenland yet? ADORABLE. Utterly adorable. One of the better Austen adaptations (and I've read five million of them).

    Also, I have a serious DVD problem too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise it *was* a book! It's on the list! Thanks, Courtney :)

      Delete