Friday, August 15, 2014

I Think I'll Name It Chuck.

Let's not talk about boxes today. Oh, okay, one quick whine about the boxes. This is my view from here:

Alright. That's out of the way.

So. I haven't mentioned it, because I've been too busy whining about the boxes, but I have a new love in my life.

I have always preferred a paper book, so much that I've resisted getting an e-reader. There's something about physically turning pages that I appreciate. I am an enormous fan of the public library and always have been. At our old place, the library was a quick walk away, and I was there at least twice a week.

Here, the library is a not so quick walk away; and while I know my kids could totally do it, whether they could do it without whining and arguing is another matter. Suddenly e-readers are looking more appealing.

So I was thrilled when my friends at Staples asked me if we'd like to test out a Kindle Fire HD.


It was fairly easy to set up, once I realised I needed to set up an Amazon account (even if you only ever plan to use it for free apps...), and I'm about as tech savvy as a pencil.

You'll also need an app for downloading books. I went with Overdrive, which thankfully has many step by step instruction pages out there (here's one). I also had to set up an Adobe account so that I could read the books once I had them. Phew.

Once I had all of that set up, I went straight to the library website and managed to download three copies of the same book because I couldn't find it on my "bookshelf". (I've gotten better since then.)

It's not entirely intuitive, especially the book borrowing, but once you've got it, it really is pretty easy. I've found there is quite an extensive collection of both e-books and audio books to choose from, and you can even place holds on downloads. 

I also put Netflix on it. The screen is amazing. I've watched movies on my iPad, and I'll tell you, the Kindle (while smaller) was much clearer. The sound on this thing is fabulous too, not the least bit tinny.

So I've found my new best friend. I was sick in bed for a couple of days, and I was not bored once. I read a book, played some games (Temple Run 2 is super fun) and chewed through season three of Downton Abbey (Waiting for season five is going to kill me).


I love the idea of having it loaded up with books for everyone. We're the type of people who like to have a nice variety of things to read at any given time, and having one small item rather than a bag of heavy books is so nice that I'm wondering why I resisted for so long.

I've even let the kids use it.

Of course, now there's a new problem. Whose turn is it to use the Kindle?




*Staples Canada provided me with a Kindle Fire HD for the purposes of this review. All opinions are my own.

14 comments:

  1. Netflx on my e reader? I may never read again ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get some ear buds, thread them up your sleeve, and you can even pretend you *are* reading. You know... good example and all that. ;)

      Delete
  2. Ooh I've heard the Kindle Fire is awesome! You totally deserve some quiet reading after all that moving - totally exhausting!! That's awesome that it works with the library too. And Downton...I'm dying waiting for the other seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara. I absolutely agree!
      January 5th for the new one... we don't have cable, so longer for me. I'll have to pass the time by re-watching the others. ;)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It really is a versatile little thing. I'm becoming quite attached to it!

      Delete
  4. Kindle loyalty growing before our very eyes!

    I think husband is ready for one and it is good to hear that it has some quality to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried about reading entire books on a screen because I get migraines if I'm at the computer for too long, but I've read a few books on it already, and no adverse effects as of yet. It's really quite good. Especially if you like to have more than one book on the go at a time.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE all of my kindle products and I'm fairly certain that my book purchases have paid for some Amazon employee's annual bonus. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I've managed to refrain from actually buying anything. They make it so, so easy - I know that one purchase would lead to ten. Thanks, Lynn!

      Delete
  6. I've got an e-reader, a phone, and tablets galore... never saw the point in getting a Kindle Fire when I could download the app to one of my tablets. Does it do special stuff, or is mostly just a tablet if you don't have one already? Also Overdrive is pretty awesome... I think that enables you to download library books. Not 100% though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got an iPad2 as well; I find the screen on the Kindle Fire HD clearer, (the iPad wavers a bit) and the sound is great, so I prefer it both for reading and watching Netflix. It is basically a tablet though, so if you've already got several, you're probably good.

      Overdrive is AWESOME. It absolutely does enable you to download library books, and it's saving my sanity. I'm used to switching out my books at least once a week, and I wasn't going to be able to do that here. You can download 10 at a time, and even place holds! Soooo happy with Overdrive.

      Delete
  7. Grrr. I just deleted my comment. I'm still a physical book reader, but I love that e-readers are so good at getting other people into books. DH has read an average of 2 books per year for the past 7 years, then I got him a reader for his last birthday - in just the last 30 days, he has read SIX! Margaret Atwood books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're never going to get the look and feel of a much loved book with an e-reader; being able to download books in the middle of the night from the comfort of my bed certainly has me coming around to them though!

      Which ones is he reading? I just finished the Maddaddam trilogy over the weekend - love her!

      Delete