Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Stymied Summer Adventures.

This summer has not been awesome so far as adventures go.

Let me re-phrase that.

This summer has not been awesome so far as kid-type adventures go. As far as grown-up adventures go, it's been pretty epic. It's not every day you buy a house, move your family, have to find new routes to work, transfer services, take care of your yard, pay property taxes...

Other than the moving part, though, most of that is grown-up stuff. Not even so much "adventure" as much as just... new.

It's one of those things where I feel like I let them down, but they seem fine.

I have this vision (the dreaded, un-live-up-to-able vision) of what summer should be for my kids, and this was not it. There was no camping. There were no day trips. We didn't explore any woods or caves. Heck, we didn't even get out much. 

This time, I'm going to feel bad for five minutes, tell myself that they're perfectly happy playing in their new playroom, and then just let it go.  The move highjacked the summer*. End of story. Hopefully, next summer's story will be a bit more interesting.

While we've been sitting around being boring (aka: unpacking and setting up our house), I've been letting the kids share in the adventures of some of these guys. 


                         
     
1. The Adventures of Tintin
2. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
3. Tad: The Lost Explorer
4. The Adventures of Mickey Matson and the Copperhead Treasure
5. National Treasure
6. Labou and the Quest for the Lost Treasure




The number of pirate maps, scavenger hunts, and secret codes I've been asked to assist with has dramatically increased.


How about you? Any big summer adventures this year? Tell me all about it, so I can live vicariously through you.





*Although we did get to take a couple of weekends off from the work to watch some of our people get married. Congrats again, Juls! You too, Mack!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've introduced your kids to some great adventure movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just waiting for Jurassic Park. ;)

      Delete