Thursday, October 16, 2014

Already Looking Forward to Next Year.

The first year I went to Blissdom, I was terrified. It was an entirely new thing for me.

Last year, I went again, and I wasn't quite so nervous. My goals changed from "don't crap your pants and pass out" to "talk to at least three new people, attend at least one party." It was easier the second time around, and I'm pleased to say I met my seemingly small goals.

This year? This year was fun. My goals? Stop focusing on my anxiety long enough to actually learn some things. And go to all the parties*.

The first people I met at Blissdom 2012; reunited.

Tara at Don't Lick the Deck, was one of the very first people who spoke to me at my first Blissdom, and I was lucky enough to snag her as my roommate. Christa from Christa Clips, who huddled with me in a corner at that first Blissdom was actually running mini sessions this year!

Kyla (Mommy's Weird), Elan (Schmutzie), and a new friend, Courtney (Moonsoar).

Lesley (who spoke at this year's "Power Hour") was one of those new people I spoke to last year, as was Sunshine, and I was thrilled to have them right next door. I didn't manage to hang out as much as I would've liked with Kyla, but I did hug her pretty much whenever I saw her, and she didn't seem to mind.  

Really, the list of new people I met, and the ones I was happy to see again, is pretty damn long. It's funny how these people, who you talk to on Twitter, who you connect with through blog comments, who you only manage to see once a year, can get to be such good friends.

Sunshine, Lesley, Tara, Jenn and Marya

The sessions I went to ranged from ethical discussions, to how to write for magazines, to how to pitch to work with companies**. I got to listen to some amazing people tell their stories. The funny thing about Blissdom, and I've heard other people mention it as well, is that it's all a blur. The experience is so full, that it's still untangling itself in my head weeks later.

I must've come away with something though, because as soon as I got the lice situation under control, I sat down and sent off my first pitches. Whether I hear back or not... well, the fact that I even hit "send" is a big step for me.

Elan, Natasha, and my long time buddy, Katie.

I try to set a goal after Blissdom. Something that I want to accomplish before I meet all these fantastic people again next year. Just one, and it doesn't have to be big. The first year, it was just talk to people on Twitter so I had people to look out for once I got there.

Once again, among all the other things I took away with me, I heard this message; the only thing that is really in my way is me. I think it's finally starting to sink in. So, this year's goal? Write.

Sit down, shut up, and write.





*The parties this year were AMAZING! The #TBT party on Thursday, sponsored by Kahlua included a giant bouncy game of Twister, Huge game of Connect Four, a giant spread of 80's candy and comfort food, and air brushed tattoos. 
The Friday night party sponsored by Lentils was beyond fabulous. There were carnival games, entertainers, wine tasting booths, and mounds of carnival food. 

**Speaking of which, I want to thank the sponsors of Blissdom Canada. Without them, this wonderful chance for these talented people from all across the country to connect in person wouldn't be possible. There are just too many to name here, but a complete list can be found on the Blissdom Canada site.

4 comments:

  1. It looks like you had an awesome time at Blissdom this year. I have the same goal as you, write and write some more.

    I really love connecting with everyone I talk to on twitter. Thsts thr best part od the experience I find. Other people don't understand just how close you really can become when you chat over social media.

    I need to work on my pitches. But I'm so scared to put myself out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how much easier it is to enjoy yourself when you're able to relax, huh? I guess third time's the charm. :)

      It absolutely is the best. It's certainly what I remember the most. If I hadn't written anything down in some of the sessions, as wonderful as they were, they'd be complete blanks in my mind. Talking to people after the pajama party, chatting in the hotel lobby, or going out to dinner with friends from far away... that stuff is totally clear in my mind.

      The worst that can happen is they say no, Brandy! And even if they say no this time, they might recognise your name for next time. ;)

      Delete
  2. Yay, it was so awesome to finally meet you in person!

    I'm really happy to see that you had such a great time - and the message that you took out of it is an absolutely awesome one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful to meet you Courtney! Always glad to meet a kindred soul who loves the same books as me. :)

      Delete