Friday, October 31, 2014

Everything is Awesome.

Ahh... Halloween. How I wish I remembered you were coming on October 1st.

Last year, the night before Halloween, I was busily knitting a Gryffindor scarf, while waiting for the cover on "Advanced Arithmancy" to dry so I could finish adding the gold paint to the runes.

There has also been a flower costume (with posable leaves), a jack o' lantern (I didn't get to add the glow sticks to the "face"... still a little disappointed), a jedi... each costume finished in the early hours of Halloween morning.

To be fair, I do it to myself. I can't just get something from the store, or make it simple, I need AUTHENTICITY*. "Which year are we doing? Hermione needs to have S.P.E.W buttons! An ugly knit elf cap! Ugh... all these wands are too plastic looking... I'll just carve her one."

Anyway.

This year, I thought I had it easy. Kee wanted to be a superhero of her own making. She is a cheerleader for her secret identity, but at the first sign of trouble, she turns into "Pom Pom Girl!" She has a cape, and a "power belt", and she can freeze the bad guys for five seconds. She ran around the house and collected everything on her own. Super easy for me.

Beege wanted to be Batman. Cool. Black clothes, cape, mask, done-zo. Not so much. I found out last week that she wanted to be LEGO Batman. Oh. Okay. Still do-able. No big. I really should have started then. Being me, however, I decided to wait until yesterday.

So here is how to make a Lego Batman costume. In eight (or so) easy(ish) steps.


It really is a good idea to measure your kid** first, so that you have some idea of how big you need to make this thing. Crossing your fingers and guessing based on the shirt she left on the couch isn't a great idea. Remember that if your child will be wearing it to school, they need to be able to sit down.


Lucky for me, there are a tonne of pictures of Lego Batman all over the internet, from different angles and in different colours.


Now it's time to paint. It is helpful if you know where both paint and brushes are. Husband suggested that spray painting would be easier and give more even coverage, but like I said, I like to make things hard on myself. Acrylic craft paint worked just fine.


Again - thank you internet! I chose to leave all the abdominal and chest lines off, because I think they look silly. If you have a printer, as I do not, it might be helpful to print out the bat, etc., or at least measure so that you don't end up staring at it later and obsessing over that little crooked bit right there.


It probably would be easier if you did some math and calculations and things. Cross your fingers and wish is not a valid method of design, and I really should learn to do things properly. That said, looks good, right? Everything lined up nicely for me, because I'm some kind of savant.

This is also the point in the evening when you will realise that you also need to make a head for this thing, and text anyone who might want to get in your good books to pick you up a construction tube. (Thanks, Husband!) Or you could just plan better than I did and already have one on hand. In fact, that sounds smart. Do that.


So. You're going to have to cut the tube. Those things are like... eight feet tall. You only need nine inches. Just think of all the other Lego heads you can make with the leftovers! You can either paint that construction tube or, as I did, wrap it in the coloured duct tape of your choice. We left an open space to put the face. I chose a mouth that she could use it to see out of. Again, many examples on the net. I covered the opening with cheese cloth - although I would've preferred white tights/nylons - so that it would be white, but still see through.


At this point in the evening, I broke down and ate some Halloween candy, after realising that she did not have any black pants. Then I sewed her some black pants. Husband was a big help on the cowl part of the costume - which we made using a couple of large sheets of craft foam - because at this point it was after midnight, and I was having some sort of a breakdown.

There is also a really awesome cape that was just a felt cape purchased for $5 at the craft store and then covered with black duct tape and re-shaped a little. It didn't make it into any of the pictures, despite it's awesomeness. Probably because it was super easy to do. Almost boring.


Only getting a few hours of sleep was totally worth it though, to see how happy she was with her costume. To complete the outfit, she wore a long sleeved black shirt, black mittens, and the aforementioned black pants.Now I just have to cross my fingers for her that her head isn't falling off all day.

If I figure out a good way to keep that thing on, I'll let you know.



 



*I've mentioned that I went to school for costume design, yes?
**Or whomever will be wearing it. I know
I'm thinking of being Lego next year.


8 comments:

  1. You are amazing!! She looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! She was pretty excited to show it to her class. :)

      Delete
  2. That's great! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! This is such an awesome idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All her idea! :)
      The only bad thing was that the head wasn't very stable. We'll figure that out for next time.

      Delete