Thursday, November 20, 2014

A Matter of Perspective.

So, winter is here, and with it, is has brought some alarming winds. Like, blow me down the street kind of winds.

The other day I went through the entire house searching for windows open cracks, and drafts under doors that I could plug up to put a stop to the whistling and moaning that was going on as the wind found every single way it could to get into the house.

More than anything else, I was worried about how Kee would deal with it at bedtime.

I've always found whistling wind (on top of being annoying), a sort of spooky, sad sound, and Kee is particularly sensitive about that kind of thing. Shortly after moving here, and probably having something to do with the fact that she was in her own room now, she developed a crippling fear of monsters in her room.

She would not go to bed. She would not go up or downstairs if there was no one else in the room with her. It was getting really bad. Luckily, my mum thought of giving her a "monster repellent", in the form of a necklace. She wore it everywhere for a few weeks, basically until it broke, At which point, she tied it to her door knob, which at least keeps her bedroom specifically (and the second floor in general) monster free.

But this wind... if anything sounds like monsters and ghosts, it's this wind. I managed to dampen it, but I couldn't get rid of it completely.

At dinner that first windy night, it was particularly gusty. I casually said, "wow, that is some wind, huh?" in order to gauge her response.

"Isn't it great?" she asked, smiling at me.
"Oh, yeah? You like it?" I asked, trying not to sound surprised.
"Yeah! Wooooo! WoooOOOOOOOoooo! It sounds like a crowd cheering for me!"

Which just goes to show, it's all a matter of perspective.




No comments:

Post a Comment