Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Conversation With a Six Year Old.

 FADE IN:

INT. SCHOOL - CLASSROOM - DAY

Children are dispersed throughout the room, seated at desks in groups of four or more. The noise level is astounding. Close in on BLUE, six year old girl wearing a blue shirt, animatedly talking to KEE, a six year old girl, and ME, a 30-something woman who is already looking forward to lunch.


BLUE
 I was like, totally scared on my first day of school. Like, I didn't know ANYBODY. But then I saw Orange, and I was like "she looks like a cool chick". So I was like, "hey, Orange, do you want to play with me?" And the next day I was all "Orange is totally my friend." And now we're cool. I like it.

RED, six year old boy, wearing a red shirt, walks up behind KEE and taps her on the shoulder.

Red
(shyly)
Hi, Kee.


KEE
(coyly)
Oh. Hi, Red.

RED walks back to his desk across the room.  

BLUE
(conspiratorially)
Kee's in love with Red. 

KEE
She knows that, already. She's my mummy. (to ME) We're going to get married, Mummy. 

BLUE
Did you know that I'm in love with Green?


ME
Green seems nice. 

Kee
(Overlapping ME)
You're in love with Green?!

 BLUE
Yeah. I totally am. The first day I got here, I saw him, and I was like, "Green is hot." And he totally likes me too. 

BLUE turns and waves at GREEN, a six year old boy wearing a green shirt, who is currently picking his ear and chewing on a marker lid.


END SCENE






7 comments:

  1. This reminded me that when I was five, I was firmly convinced I was going to marry my cousin. Funny how romantic kids are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why five year olds are so set on getting married anway. Beege tends to say. "I don't know if I'll get married. It'll depend on how well they cook."

      Delete
  2. Had to have a heart to heart with my kid about how I couldn't marry him. (Cause that would be weird, sweetheart. You will have to find your own woman to marry and at like your mom one day.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... that's so sweet though. :)
      I've had to, on various occasions, remind them that they can't marry Daddy, or each other. They've never wanted to marry me though. I wonder if I should be insulted?

      Delete