Monday, November 3, 2014

Finish It.

I am not the world's best finisher. You just need to look around my house at the unpacked boxes, the half sewn or knitted projects, and the notebooks filled with beginnings of stories to see that it's true.

I'm an awful procrastinator too. There's "I don't want to start something early because I know that I won't finish it until the night before/day of anyway so why bother" coupled with being able to say "well, yeah, it's not the greatest, but I did only work on it for one day." Add to that the fact that until a project is finished, you can't really say it's a failure. Nobody likes to feel like they've failed.

It's a perfect storm of slackerness. Which drives me nuts, because I'm really not a slacker, I swear. I'm a hard worker, with good attention to detail, and a whole bunch of interesting ideas. I just have so many ideas jumping on top of each other that I don't know where to start. Besides that, I probably won't finish, so why bother? And maybe my ideas aren't as great as I think they are anyway.

See?! I'm well aware of the ridiculous cycle I'm in.

So. This month, I'm trying something.


NaNoWriMo, aka. National Novel Writing Month. I've signed up. I'm committing to writing 50,000 words this month, in the hopes that at the end, I will have the makings of a novel. I've got a profile, I've got writing buddies for encouragement, and I've got time alone while the kids are in school. I'm going to finish. When I'm done, I'm going to edit it.

Then, I might even let some people read it.

Are any of you participating?



For more information, go to nanowrimo.org


8 comments:

  1. I used to participate in something similar (NaBloPoMo - National Blog Posting Month) Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also completely terrible at finishing things. Good intentions are my strong point - not so much the follow through.... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have boxes full of good intentions, all safely stored upstairs in my office, that is still waiting to be painted. :\

      Delete
  3. I've got no story to tell, so I'm not joining in. But I am totally going to be cheering you on!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Courtney - maybe next year? :)

      Delete