Sunday, July 5, 2015

June... Is Over?

I don't know how it happened. One second, it's Kee's birthday, right at the beginning of June, and the next, I'm watching fireworks and thinking, really? What the heck have I been doing?

Having the kids home all day every day has been a huge adjustment for me. I'm used to having at least a few good hours of complete silence in my day. It has taken just one week to realise that I won't have even a semblance of quiet again Until September. Am I terrible that I'm already looking forward to it? Don't get me wrong - I love having my kids around, I just also love having some time to breathe and actually focus on what *I* need for a minute.

As a result, I'm instituting a daily quiet time. You know that part of the day just after lunch when it gets so hot that you don't really want to move anyway? Perfect. I dub thee "Quiet Time". With capitals, because it's important.

I will be napping. The kids will most likely turn their nose up at such an idea, so I'm going to loosen the reigns on screen time a bit and let them work through a list of pre-approved Netflix titles.

We're going through a bit of a throw back period with our viewing these days. The kids are all excited about things that I used to watch when I was a kid. Some shows like My Little Pony and Scooby-Doo!: Mystery Incorporated have been updated and revamped, while one of my personal favourites The Magic School Bus is the same excellent show I remember from watching with the kids I babysat. (Sadly, though it is available, they have no interest at all in Jem, so I'll have to watch that on my own time.)  There are also some excellent new shows, in particular Dragons: Race to the Edge (which takes place between the first and second movies), that they're stoked about. 

But that only takes care of an hour or so every afternoon. What to do with the rest of the summer? Once again, I'm leaving things to fate, so we're wide open here.

What are you guys doing? Any super fun ideas  that I can steal?





No comments:

Post a Comment