Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Because I Don't Have Enough To Do.

We're still at the stage in our lives where none of our furniture matches. Since most things are actually hand-me-downs, we didn't pick them, and they don't go together. We've got a big green recliner couch, next to a sleek looking leather chair, next to an antique couch with scrolled feet.. our "style" could be called, at best, eclectic. At worst, you might say it looks like we live in a storage locker. I'm trying (halfheartedly right now) to change that.

As luck would have it, a friend of mine was cleaning out her craft room recently and came across some yarn she didn't want. She asked me if I wanted it, and I said, "sure! You can never have too much yarn!" I didn't realise until she showed up at my door how much "some" was. I stand corrected: you can have too much yarn. There's got to be at least twenty pounds of yarn there. Sitting in bags in my already overcrowded living room.

We can't afford to redecorate right now, so I need to work with what we've got. I've decided to start small. We have a really ugly ottoman. It's a sort of dirty green (the colour... it's not actually that dirty) blob, and the kids love to sit on it. It's actually great to have as extra seating... but it's just so ugly.

I'm going to try and use some of this yarn to crochet a cover for this hideous ottoman and begin to solve two problems at once.

This is merely the tip of the yarn iceberg.

It's either going to turn out really great and I'll post pictures, or it'll be awful and you'll never hear about it again. Wish me luck!





8 comments:

  1. When we got married, I remember thinking "In 10 years, we'll be able to afford to buy X, Y, Z". Nope. The only things in our house that we bought together and aren't hand-me-down furniture are our couch, kitchen table, bed frame and mattress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best laid plans, and all that. So many things end up being more important than matching furniture!

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic undertaking! I'm sure it will be a great winter project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already decided I didn't like it and ripped it down 5 or 6 times... I'll be glad if it actually gets done. :)

      Delete
  3. that's quite the project - good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete