Saturday, October 3, 2015

For The Love of Books.


Over the years, our book loving and hoarder tendencies have combined to fill our home with books. Overfill, actually. We've cut down on buying books for ourselves quite a lot, but we can't seem to help ourselves buying for them. Beege has books spilling off of her shelf and stacked on every surface. Kee's actually got piles of books in and under her bed. It's getting nuts.


Instilling a love of reading is one thing -- if you can read, you can learn anything -- but this crazy collecting needs to stop. At the rate we all read, we were buying new books very week or two.

As someone who loves books, but really should not be spending the money or the space on the, right now, I love the library. Really, I've always loved the library. A place that will let you bring home stacks of books to read... for free? What an incredibly brilliant concept.

The first thing we did when we moved last year, before even unpacking was head to our new library to get our library cards. We didn't make as much use of them as we should have, and the books kept piling up.

Since September though, we've been making a real effort. The girls are starting to come around to the benefits of being able to read everything without having to find a spot on the shelf for it when you're done, and a trip to the library has become on of our favourite Saturday activities.

Although, I'm guessing it might also have something to do with the fact that our new favourite coffee shop is across the street and we always stop in for a treat and a game of chess or two before heading home.

Mostly though, it's the books.



6 comments:

  1. Our library is right by the best little bakery ever! I couldn't agree more the library is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A book, hot chocolate, and a nice piece of cake. Perfect day.

      Delete
  2. Our library has a Cafe right inside of it! I am a book hoarder, and just got rid of two full shelves of books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are trying so hard to get rid of some books right now. All of the shelves are double rows, and we've got boxes full. But... they're... books...

      Delete
  3. I love the library also! There are a few books I have that I will re-read, so it's nice to own them and be able to read whenever I feel like it. But, for the rest of them the library is awesome. I read a book a week - and that is expensive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for those Scholastic flyers that come home from the kids' schools. They always seem like such good prices, and you can get the whole series at once... and I'm a re-reader too, so it always seems like a good idea to buy. And I will read pretty much anything. I need to be a little more selective.
      I'm trying to train myself to get it from the library BEFORE I buy it, to see if it actually is worthy of shelf space.

      Delete