Monday, October 5, 2015

Monday Morning Miracle Muffins

Last night, I was siting around with Husband watching some Netflix and feeling like I'd forgotten something. This isn't unusual for me, as I'm generally the sort of person who will purposefully make a detailed to do list, and then promptly lose it.

Anyway. Around 11:00, I remembered what it was that I had to do; my daily blog post. So I sat down at the computer and whipped up a last minute post, then went to bed feeling very satisfied to have remembered in time to keep up with the one a day thing.

Fast forward to 6:30 this morning when I exclaimed "shit!" and sat bolt upright in bed (which is getting harder to do these days), startling Husband awake. It wasn't the blog post (although I'm still glad I got that done), it was the muffins. The night before, we'd noticed we were running short on lunch stuff for the girls, so he offered to go and get groceries. I wanted him to stay home and watch a movie with me, so I said "don't worry, as long as we've got enough fruit, veggies, and cheese we're okay. I'll make muffins tonight. Then we watched a movie and all thoughts of muffins were forgotten.

Luckily, I have this recipe up my sleeve. I don't even know if it counts as a recipe exactly, because I only bother to measure a few of the ingredients, but it has saved me many many times in a pinch. If you've got everything on hand, and you probably will, because most of the ingredients are variable, you can have muffins in about half an hour total. Which is awesome when you remember that you've got no lunch for the kid who needs to be at the bus stop in 40 minutes.




Monday Morning Miracle Muffins
Makes 12 medium sized muffins.
(Can also make one loaf. Bake in greased loaf pan for 50-60 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.)

1/2 cup softened butter (I'm sure margarine or similar would work just as well)
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour (any kind, really. White, whole wheat, multigrain... I've even used 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup crushed up bran flakes when I was stuck.)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
about 1/2 cup yogurt (usually use plain, but any flavour will do), or sour cream, or silken tofu
about 1/2 cup mashed banana, or apple sauce, or pureed pear

Unnecessary add ons - choose 1 or 2: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup chocolate chips (best with banana), 1/2 cup thinly grated carrot (best with apple), 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup ground flax seed (yay, fiber!), 1/2 cup wheat germ
When making them with apple or pear, I also like to add 1 tsp. of ground cinnamon. 

Preheat oven to 350C.

Cream together the butter and sugar in a medium to large bowl, then add eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt (also flax seeds, wheat germ, or crushed up bran flakes if using them). Mix dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients, blend. When fully blended, add fruit and yogurt (or tofu, or sour cream)

Fill 12 greased or lined muffin cups (they're quite dense, and don't rise overly much.)

Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.






3 comments:

  1. these sound yummy! Muffins are a staple in my kids lunches

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything that I can just throw in a container for them. Mornings are hard enough without having to worry about lunches. (I never could manage the night before thing..)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muffins are so handy! I think I'm going to make scones tonight.

    ReplyDelete