Thursday, October 1, 2015

Pants.

I have had problems with pants in the past. I have some... digestive... issues, and there has been a lot of pain, bloating, and general discomfort since I was a kid. The constant pressure of a waistband has, on occasion, actually made me throw up. So yeah... pants aren't my favourite. But I've learned to deal with it. I wear yoga pants, I buy stretchy waisted pants, and yeah, my "formal" pants are from a maternity store.

Actually, my hatred of pants has helped me in some ways. For example, I think that I have been far more patient and sympathetic with my children on the issue than I might have been otherwise. You see, they too hate pants.

Both girls have some sensory issues. Things need to be soft. There needs to be a complete absence of tags, itchy bits, seams, and buttons. They can't be too tight in the legs. They don't like them too loose either. They can't be snug in the waist, but they also can't feel like they're shifting. We've solved these problems, up to this point, with a wardrobe of leggings and jogging pants.

Beege is way better than Kee on the issue, because at least she is (mostly) consistent. She wears three pairs of pants. I made them for her, and I should probably make her some more because they're getting worn through at the knees and are a couple of inches too short at this point.

But Kee? She is not consistent. A pair of leggings that were just fine yesterday make her scream when they touch her today. Only one of the two pairs that are pretty much exactly the same are acceptable. Pants that I've avoided because she threw a half hour tantrum last time I suggested she wear them are the only thing that will do right now.

Today, the first actually cold(ish) day of fall, she decided that NO pants were okay.

She needed to wear a skirt with shorts. Why? Because, pants, obviously.

I told her she would be cold. So she got out her snowpants. I reminded her that there was no snow and that it wasn't actually that cold, so come recess time, her legs would get sweaty and stick to the insides, which she hates. She fell in a heap on the floor an lay there for ten minutes. I suggested she wear proper pants again. She balled her fists and glared at me. I'm very proud of myself -- I didn't yell. I told her that my reasons for wanting her to wear pants were all very logical, and had to do with her comfort throughout the day. She told me that she needed to wear the skirt "because it's pretty." I told her that in the end the decision was hers, and I laid out my arguments again.

In the end, she went with the skirt. I let her. If I'm lucky, she'll remember being chilly at recess the next time this comes up, and decide to be practical all on her own. I'm probably going to get a note home about how the weather is changing, and I should ensure that she wear appropriate clothes to school. I probably won't write back that they're lucky she's wearing any clothes at all.

But really, they are. 






10 comments:

  1. I have 2 boys, and my oldest and I have had similar arguments many times. He also has some sensory issues and will only wear track/sweat pants - but really, he prefers shorts. He is a little furnace and would wear shorts all year if I let him. I tend to leave the issue until it gets to 5 degrees, and then I push it. Generally it ends up with him wearing pants over his shorts, so he can take them off at lunch when it gets warmer..... sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she would wear pants over her shorts and leave them with her coat while she's inside, I'd be all for that. Gave it a shot after school, and it renders the shorts "too bunchy". For a minute, I thought we had something there. Sigh, indeed. :P

      Delete
  2. My three boys all wear shorts until they're freezing to death. What is it about boys and wearing shorts inappropriately?!? My daughter is less picky, but refuses to wear anything remotely "girly" (she has three big brothers--I get it). At least she'll wear long pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a gym teacher at their old school who wore shorts all year. We actually had to talk to him about it because the kids were starting to hold him up as an example of why they should be allowed to.

      Lol.. I think it's more "kids" than "boys".

      Delete
  3. I hate pants. It's the driving force behind my freelance aspirations. (Ass-pirations?). My first bluntmoms piece was about how much I hate buying pants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if they polled the general population of the work at home crowd on reasons they prefer to work from home, there would be quite a high number of people who have "work in pajamas" near the top of their list.

      Delete
  4. You're a fantastic mama! Sometimes (actually most times) learning happens best through those natural consequences. Love it!

    Looking forward to reading more of your parenting moments this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Guess who decided to wear proper pants with no arguments this morning?

      Looking forward to hearing more from you! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm a big fan of natural consequences. Also, you must have a terrible time clothes shopping for them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horrible time, Jenn. What makes it worse is that we'll come home from a shopping trip, feeling all happy because it was successful, and then next time she goes to put whatever it is on her body again, it's suddenly the worst thing she's ever felt. This week it was running shoes. :\

      Delete