Monday, November 9, 2015

Sometimes You Need a Little Glama.

Have I ever mentioned that I'm a "Glam-bassador"? That means that every once in a while, the girls get to go to a cool event at a Glama Gals Tween Spa, which in all it's sparkly pink splendour is one of Kee's very favourite places ever. As a place that caters to girls who are just entering that awkward phase where they're trying to figure out where they fit in the world, and focuses on encouraging them to be themselves, I'm pretty fond of it too.

Just last weekend, they got to go to the Newmarket location and experience the "My First Time at the Spa" package.


My girls were made to feel special from the minute they walked through the door. They traded in their coats and runners for robes and slippers, and were led to the back where, after a snack of cupcakes and pinkatinis, they each got to choose their own scent of foaming foot bath before their pedicures.


Pedicures done, polish applied, they moved over to the manicure bar to soak their hands and get their nails done. Kee chose her favourite classic sparkly pink, while Beege went for purple and green (with a solitary yellow nail), with sparkles over top of everything.


Then they finished it all up with a relaxing chocolate facial while listening to some calming music.


When I asked them what their favourite part of the experience had been, I got a very enthusiastic "everything!" in response.

My kids know how wonderful I think they are. I tell them that they're smart, and brave, and kind, and beautiful every chance I get. Now that they are older, and spend the bulk of their time out in the world, they're starting to get different messages. They are constantly being bombarded by the media, as well as their peers, with someone else's ideas of what they "should" look like, wear, and do.

I do my best to counteract it; I tell them that the only people who really need to like them are themselves, because that's the only person who will be with them forever, and that changing for anyone but themselves is a really good way to be unhappy. I also realise that no matter how true my words are, there will always be a niggling little doubt in their minds that I'm only saying these things because I'm their mum.

So it's nice to have some backup for my "be true to yourself" message from outside sources.

Especially cool, sparkly, pink ones.






This post is sponsored by Glama Gals Tween Spas, and my girls received some super fun spa services for the purposes of writing this article. As always, all opinions are entirely my own.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like it would be absolutely amazing for girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They loved it! It was really just an hour for every one to be calm and treat themselves well... we can all use that - kids too.

      Delete
  2. That looks like so much fun! My daughter would love this. Fingers crossed that there's one near me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've got nine locations throughout Ontario - hopefully one is somewhere near you! :)

      Delete