Thursday, January 26, 2017

Avoiding Reality with Binge Watching.

I don't know if it's because kids are just growing up so much faster than they used to, or the fact that we have an actual baby in the house, but my kids are suddenly not little kids anymore. But they aren't exactly big kids either. They're at this weird in-between stage where they can sit down and have quite grown up conversations, but they'll still play dolls for a few hours every once in a while.

They're far too old for Puffin Rock, but way (way) too young for The Walking Dead. So when something comes along that we can all agree on to watch, I get really happy about it. Especially if it's based on books that we already know and love. Even *more* if it happens to star one of my favourite actors.

Yay!

We love Lemony Snicket, and are extremely fond of the movie, so were super excited, but a bit wary, when we heard it was being made into a series for Netflix. It's always a worry when someone does a remake of something you love that the new version won't sit well. We haven't started watching it yet since Beege wanted to get through all of the books again first, but I have snuck a little peek on my own and I am expecting to be very happy.

Another one I'm thinking of watching with them is One Day at a Time.


I'm not familiar with the original, so I didn't have any expectations either way when I started watching it. The reboot, which centers around a Cuban-American single mother and her family,  tackles some serious issues -- like sexism, immigration, sexuality, and PTSD -- in a mostly light-hearted way, that would make it easy to springboard into a more serious conversation with my girls. The way things are going right now, with the real life series of rather unfortunate events in the U.S, I think we all need to start talking about these kinds of things sooner rather than later.

As for my own personal viewing, if you're looking for something oddly fun to take your mind off things, give Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency a go. Super weird. Stick with it though, because it's kind of awesome.










No comments:

Post a Comment